I. General Information
Title of Consultancy: Legal Advisor
Type of Contract: Individual Contract
Duration of the assignment: 6 Months
Duty station: Kismayo
Supervisor: Director General of the Ministry
The Ministry of Interior of Jubbaland State of Somalia is responsible for the Local Government portfolio, including establishing systems of local governance; developing capacity and providing oversight. In order to support the Ministry to perform its mandate the UNDP Joint Programme for Local Governance and Decentralized Service Delivery (UNDP/JPLG) will support the deployment of a legal and Policy expert to advance the policy and legal frame work.
Within the obligation and mandate the Ministry of Interior is to develop legal frame work, policies, tools and approaches to implement the Provisional Constitution of Somalia, upholds the Constitutional principle that ‘service delivery is delivered at the level of government that is most effective’. In this regard, the strategy will address political, fiscal and administrative decentralization in the Somali context, systems and processes for enhancing public service delivery, increasing public investment in basic services, strengthen civic awareness and participation in local decision-making and development, building policy and legal frameworks for decentralization, local government, service provision, institutionalizing local government systems and vertical and horizontal inter-government linkages.
The technical expert will be required to develop a legal draft of the Jubbaland Local Government Law to enhance the development of structures and functions of local governments and the future local councils. Under the overall guidance of the Ministry of Interior of Jubbaland State of Somalia the incumbent will have the following objective, duties and responsibilities.
II. Objectives of the assignment
• The objective of the assignment is to draft the Local Government law of Jubbaland.
• Develop consultation forums, with Ministries of Jubbaland State, FGS MOIFA and other relevant actors, to achieve the intended goal of building national consensus in terms of the Jubbaland Local Government law.
III. Duties and Responsibilities
1. Provide technical support required to draft the Local Government law of Jubbaland.
2. Support the ministry in the preparation of meetings, consultation workshops and dialogue forums related to the development of local government law. In close collaboration with both MOI local Government advisor, other Ministries and MOIFA.
3. Assist the Ministry in ensuring good preparation, organization and coordination of policy dialogue meetings between Ministry and other national and international stakeholders and partners on Local Governments.
4. Work closely with the senior local governance advisor and MoI, UN agencies, donor representatives, and the upcoming local councils, on the follow-up and implementation of decisions and recommendations made regarding the development of the legislations/Local Government law
5. Providing advice and technical assistance to the Ministry to ensure timely and high quality implementation of the Ministry’s mandate regarding local governance law.\
6. Ensure the Local Government law is harmonized in accordance with Federal Constitution of Somalia and the State Constitution of Jubbaland.
The consultant will deliver the following results during the contract period:
1. Drafting of the Local Government law of Jubbaland.
2. Ensure the Local Government law is harmonized in accordance with Federal constitution of the country and the state.
3. Conduct and facilitate consultative workshops for development legislation on the mandate, structure, responsibilities, rights and duties of local government district councils – as part of the Local Government law.
V: Qualifications and Competencies
I. Level of Education:
MA in Law, Public Policy, International Relations, Public Administration, Political Science or related discipline.
II. Work Experience:
At least five (5) years of relevant experience in policy and legal drafting.
III. Languages needed:
Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Somali
IV. General Skills / Other Requirements:
1. Excellent communication and presentation skills, analytical and interpersonal abilities;
2. Ability to operate as part of a team, but also independently;
3. Ability to identify innovative approaches to problems in a challenging environment;
4. Computer proficiency with high level of familiarity with commonly used packages like MS office;
5. Ability to work under pressure
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
Please send your curriculum vitae to the ministry’s office in Kismayo 31/08/2016 or to this email: email@example.com with subject line ‘legal consultant. MOI will only be able to respond to those applications in which there is further interest. the late of the above date is not applicable
Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
|Madaxweyne Farmaajo oo boggaadiyey bandhigga buugaagta Kismaayo|
|Carwada Buugaagta Kismaayo oo maalintii koowaad gashay|
|Bandhigga Buugaagta Kismaayo oo bari furmaya|
|Farmaajo oo qaabiley Axmed Maxamed Islaam|
|Bangiga Dhexe ee Soomaaliya oo ay maalgashanayaan bangiyo Kenya ku yaala|