Title of Consultancy: Designing MOI organizational structure for Local Government
Type of Contract: Individual Contract
Duration of the assignment: 2 Months
Duty station: Kismayo
Supervisor: Director General of the Ministry
The Ministry of Interior of Jubbaland State of Somalia is responsible for the Local Government portfolio, including establishing systems of local governance; developing capacity and providing oversight. In order to support the Ministry to perform its mandate the UNDP Joint Programme for Local Governance and Decentralized Service Delivery (UNDP/JPLG) will support the deployment of a short-term technical expertise to develop structure and functions of MOI Local government and Standardized local government departmental structure for level of districts.
Within the obligation and mandate the Ministry of Interior is to develop legal frame work, policies, tools and approaches to implement the Provisional Constitution of Somalia, upholds the Constitutional principle that ‘service delivery is delivered at the level of government that is most effective’. In this regard, the strategy will address political, fiscal and administrative decentralization in the Somali context, systems and processes for enhancing public service delivery, increasing public investment in basic services, strengthen civic awareness and participation in local decision-making and development, building policy and legal frameworks for decentralization, local government, service provision, institutionalizing local government systems and vertical and horizontal inter-government linkages.
The technical expert will be required to develop a draft structure and functions of the Ministry of interior department of Local Government and a Standardized local government departmental structure for the different level of the districts in Jubbaland state to strengthen the ministry ability of meeting its mandate of improving support, supervision, coordination and providing guidance to the districts. Designing the departmental structures should emphasize response a functional separation of responsibilities between the different levels of the local government and a realistic structure with regards to available resources.
Under the overall guidance of the Ministry of Interior of Jubbaland State of Somalia the incumbent will have the following objective, duties and responsibilities.
II. Objectives of the assignment
• The objective of the assignment is to develop a draft document containing standardized structures describing the organizational structure and the proposed functions attached to each unit/department for department of LG in MOI and district administration.
• Develop consultation forums, with Ministries of Jubbaland State, FGS MOIFA and other relevant actors, to achieve the intended goal of building national consensus in terms of the Jubbaland organizational structure for local Government.
III. Duties and Responsibilities
1. Provide technical support required to draft the MOI department of local government and local governmental departmental structure for level “A” and”B“districts.
2. Support the ministry in the preparation of meetings, consultation workshops and dialogue forums related to the development of the organizational structure of the local government. In close collaboration with both MOI local Government advisor, MOI staff, JPLG staff other Ministries and MOIFA.
3. Assist the Ministry in ensuring good preparation, organization and coordination of dialogue meetings between Ministry and other national and international stakeholders and partners on Local Governments.
4. Work closely with the senior local governance advisor and MOI, Jubbaland cabinet ministries, UN agencies and donor representative, on the follow-up and implementation of decisions and recommendations made regarding the development of the organizational structure for Local Government.
5. Providing advice and technical assistance to the Ministry to ensure timely and high quality implementation of the Ministry’s mandate regarding the organizational structure for local Government.
6. Ensure the Local Government structural and functional is harmonized in accordance with Federal Constitution of Somalia and the State Constitution of Jubbaland.
The consultant will deliver the following results during the contract period:
1. Drafting document containing standardized structures describing the organizational structure and the proposed functions attached to each unit/department for department of LG in MOI and different level of districts ( “A”,”B” of Jubbaland state.
2. Ensure the organizational structure and functions is harmonized in accordance with Federal constitution of the country and the state.
3. Conduct and facilitate consultative workshops for development the structure and functions of MOI department of Local Government and district departments.
V: Qualifications and Competencies
• Level of Education:
Advanced degree in public administration, Public Finance, development administration, International Relations, Political Science or related discipline.
• Work Experience:
At least five (5) years of relevant experience in experience in managing such institutional capacity building and training assignments.
• Technical and professional expertise in designing, implementing and evaluating public sector reform programmes.
• Good understanding and proven record of analytical work on public service reform and policy, government planning and budgeting processes (e.g., public expenditure management, government accounting system, among others), participatory local governance, community participation, and capacity building;
• Experience in working with State Governments within the context of current Somalia would be an advantage
• Languages needed:
Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Somali
• General Skills / Other Requirements:
• Excellent communication and presentation skills, analytical and interpersonal abilities;
• Ability to operate as part of a team, but also independently;
• Ability to identify innovative approaches to problems in a challenging environment;
• Computer proficiency with high level of familiarity with commonly used packages like MS office;
• Ability to work under pressure
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
Please send your curriculum vitae to the ministry’s office in Kismayo or to this email: email@example.com with subject line “Designing MOI organizational structure For Local Government” not later than COB 6TH Oct, 2016. MOI will only be able to respond to those applications in which there is further interest. the late of the above date is not applicable
Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
|Madaxweyne Farmaajo oo boggaadiyey bandhigga buugaagta Kismaayo|
|Carwada Buugaagta Kismaayo oo maalintii koowaad gashay|
|Bandhigga Buugaagta Kismaayo oo bari furmaya|
|Farmaajo oo qaabiley Axmed Maxamed Islaam|
|Bangiga Dhexe ee Soomaaliya oo ay maalgashanayaan bangiyo Kenya ku yaala|